Custom Products and Services
Dune Sciences strives to provide products and services that meet our customers' application needs. As a part of this ongoing commitment, we offer a variety of services to help meet these needs including custom surface functionalization, custom substrate design and prototyping, application/sample preparation development, and complete correlative characterization of materials.
Custom Surfaces and Coatings
With more than 20 years experience in surface functionalization and thin film deposition, Dune's scientists and engineers can provide a wide range of surface modifications to not only any of our SMART Grids, but also to many of our customer's own substrates. Whether trying to emulate the surface of other materials, trying to improve the affinity for a particular analyte molecule (e.g. virus particle), or optimizing process conditions for integrating nanomaterials into products, Dune custom surface modification can help you solve your surface science and characterization needs.
- Silanization/chemical derivatization
- Custom hydrophobic/hydrophilic coatings
- Self-assembled monolayers
- Patterned surface chemistry
- Immunospecific chemistries for purifying/isolating target analytes
Coatings and Thin films
- Spin-coating/dip-coating/aerosol coating of polymer solutions, spin-on-glass, nanoparticle solutions
- Thermal evaporation of metal films
- Sputter coating (RF and DC)of metals, metal oxides and metal nitrides
- Atomic layer deposition (ALD) of metal oxides
- PECVD and silicon nitride and silicon carbide
- Nanoparticle coatings
Contact us today to discuss your surface modification needs.
Substrate Design and Prototyping
Dune Sciences offers custom design and prototyping of new substrates for characterization or for other applications to meet our customers needs. Our expertise in mask design and microfabrication allows us to quickly produce prototypes at reasonable cost using our standard 100um thick stock silicon wafers and standard SiO2 and Si3N4 membrane thicknesses with a range of geometries and window/aperture sizes. In addition, Dune can produce substrates using a variety of other materials and membranes. Lead times vary depending on the design criteria, but generally samples can be provided within 2-4 weeks.
Contact us today to discuss your substrate prototyping needs.
While SMART Grids themselves play a central role in preparing reproducible and quality samples, the implementation and usage of these products in some cases requires some customization for new materials and/or new applications. Dune Sciences experience in working with a range of customers in industry and academia in both life sciences and materials sciences provides a unique insight and capability to rapidly implement application-specific methods and protocols to support your needs.
- Sample preparation
- Nanoparticle coatings and dispersions
- Immunoassays for EM
- Standardized methods and protocols
- Non-traditional specimen preparation(e.g. airborne particulates)
Contact us today to discuss your application development needs.
Characterization and Analysis Services
In spite of significant advancements in state-of-the-art high-resolution instrumentation, the characterization process itself can become a bottleneck to scientific or technical progress. This bottleneck can be attributed to a variety of factors including poor data quality resulting in uncertainty in data analysis, incomplete/insufficient data to enable informed decision making, poor correlation between different analytical methods, slow throughput, time and monetary resources required to operate/utilize analytical instruments, or even the wrong choice of tools to measure the desired properties.
Dune Sciences specializes in solving complex characterization problems to provide unambiguous results and analysis. While many of Dune's products and services are designed to support the characterization process and to help solve these problems, they can require a dedicated effort to fully exploit their capabilities. In support of this need, Dune is proud to now offer complete characterization services in partnership with the Center for Advanced Materials Characterization in Oregon (CAMCOR). As a part of this service, Dune works with its customers to define a characterization strategy and then implements sample prepratation, multi-technique correlative characterization (if needed), and analysis to provide reliable and accurate results.
- (Scanning)Transmission electron microscopy (TEM/STEM)
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM)/Environmental SEM (ESEM)
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- Electron probe microanalysis (EPMA)
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
- Secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS)
- Electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS)
- Energy Dispersive spectroscopy (EDS)
- Small Angle X-ray Scattering (SAXS)
Note: Many methods can be used on identical samples.
Contact us today to discuss your complete characterization needs.